Monday, August 25, 2008

Empire of The Sun










So I'm reading a book of short stories at the moment by J G Ballard. They're kinda science fictiony, but more realisticish science, like valve computers that write poetry and ultrasonic musicians.... not so much spaceships and vagina-like aliens.








But the stories are really cool, they were written in the early 60's, some have a real Orwellian vibe about them, others well.. don't. BUT, for those fact hunters out there, J G Ballard also wrote a semi-autobiographical book called Empire of the Sun, about his childhood growing up in Shanghai during WW2. It was turned into a movie by Stephen Spielberg, featuring Batman as Ballard. I haven't seen it, or read it, I just know about it. Apparently everyone else I talk to has seen it... how have I not.

What I have seen is the new video by new Pnau/Sleepy Jackson side project Empire of the Sun. The song is called Walking on a Dream, it's self describes as a cross between Phoenix and Daft Punk, and while everyone who has ever put a synth on a track says it sounds like Daft Punk, these guys are actually pretty close. Either Daft Punk or Phil Collins anyway. The video is really colourful and filmed in Shanghai, which sort of brings it all around like a Curb your Enthusiasm episode. So here it is, it's great fun.

Oh yeah, Luke Steel is some sort of Superhero I think. The Album is out October 4th. I think I'll buy it!

STRANGE FACT...
If you put the video into an editing program and play around with the contrast, you get this video... Wow!



Bye for now

No comments: